A VCE Program is a set of Semester Units taken over a minimum period of two years. This program is designed by you to meet your needs within the rules laid down by Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority (VCAA) and within school policies. Counselling is available to ensure that you choose the program which best meets your needs. We generally advise students to complete 22 Units over a two year period. This would usually involve six Units per Semester in Year 11 and five Units per Semester in Year 12. However, variations will occur as a result of Year 10 students undertaking VCE studies. Variations may only be considered in consultation with specific Coordinators and the Assistant Principal, of the Senior School.
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority Requirements:
To be awarded your VCE you must satisfactorily complete at least 16 Units which must include:
- Three units of English. As an alternative to English 3/4 a student, after consultation with the Senior School Coordinator may elect to study English Literature 3/4.
- Three Unit 3/4 sequences (other than English). This may include 2 VET sequences
Choosing a Program
- Take advantage of the counselling available and the expertise within the school.
- Talk to: Parents, Careers Teacher, VCE Coordinators, other teachers and friends.
- Read the information on Pathways to get ideas on how to select a VCE program that leaves
Open your options for University and TAFE.
This option provides greater flexibility within the VCE and has greater benefits for students by:
- Providing extra challenges.
- Providing experience in meeting the demands of learning outcomes.
- Providing the opportunity to increase the ENTER score.
Students have been very successful in completing Unit 3/ 4 subjects in the first Year of their VCE.
University Enhancement Program
Students have the opportunity to extend their VCE program by studying a university subject in Year 12, through Monash University and LaTrobe University. This is an exciting and challenging option for (very) capable and motivated students. Further information is available from the Careers Teacher and Year Level Coordinators.
VCE students are also encouraged to undertake Work Experience during their VCE in the school holidays.