The College has recently been notified that one of our students has been diagnosed with Whooping Cough. The student is currently taking medication and will not return to school until they are well. If you are concerned about your child please consult your GP.
We have contacted the appropriate people and have been given the following info.
- the person is infectious just prior to and for 21 days after the onset of cough if untreated
- Infants less than 6 months and women in the last month or pregnancy are most at risk of complications
- exclusion from school is until the infected person has received 5 days of antibiotic therapy or has been coughing for more than 21 days, whichever comes first
- recommendation for those not fully immunised to complete immunisation
- no need for prophylactic antibiotics in this age group unless someone has health problems which would put them at risk from possible complications
- no need to exclude non or incompletely vaccinated people
Further information can be found in the following fact sheet. Click here to download